Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Historic Day for Gay Rights

Today's Top U.S. Stories:

Yes, as my Google News Gadget would indicate, today is a historic day for gay rights.  The Obama administration has announced that they will no longer defend DOMA (The Defense of Marriage Act), as it is based on and encourages the stereotype-based thinking and hostility that the constitution is designed to guard against.  The law is indeed unconstitutional.

This is a great step towards equality, and I am elated to see this progress.  No other word is more appropriate for today’s news than “monumental.”

After this news broke, one of my family members decided to post a Facebook status update expressing disinterest in her friends’ and family’s views on topics such as abortion and gay rights and equated their posts regarding such topics as “shoving” their beliefs down her throat.   She would rather have us limit our posts to non-political issues.  We are present and aware of something that is going to be written about in our children's history books, but by all means, let's instead keep our posts light and fluffy... Actually, let's just pretend today's event didn't happen.

Social change is not a result of silence.  If everyone held their silence, the prejudices we object to would not be overcome.

Regarding the issue(s) of gay rights: As a straight member of society, I feel my voice is particularly helpful in this fight.  They need to know that they are not alone.  Society needs to know that they are not alone.  As long as I feel that my open opposition to discrimination is beneficial in any way towards complete equality, I will continue to use my voice.  Social networking is a tool.  I will continue to use it.

Don’t ever expect me to be silent.  I throw posts about my family, pets, dinner, favorite sports team, daily activities, and miscellaneous entertaining anecdotes into my social media streams, but being aware of and even part of our world’s political movements and potentially encouraging others to be aware will continue to be a part of me.  Prepare your throats for a shoving or take action to no longer listen to me or read what I have to say.  Blocking me is just a hide button away.

3 comments:

  1. i agree with every word. The more people (straight OR gay) make their voices heard, more can be accomplished for equal rights for everyone. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why you hide this here instead of posting it in public where you post everything else. Perhaps you are worried about hurting someones feelings or something, but they need to know that there is nothing wrong with you being vocal and speaking your mind on your own social media pages. If someone else does not like it then that is tough luck for them. I have never seen you telling any other people to not post stuff on their own pages. Regardless of your opinion on such topics they may be discussing that you may not like or agree with. Everyone who knows you, family or not, knows that you are a very vocal person. Especially when it comes to social/environmental injustices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Chris Well - I did link to it from my twitter but not from my Facebook. I share so many of the same Facebook friends as her that she would consider this response an attack on her in front of her friends and family. I did need to vent about the ridiculousness of the situation, so I chose this outlet.

    Also, my blog is nearly vacant, but it is public, and it is a goal for my ADD self to actually populate it with my thoughts and reactions about the world around me one day, so in that sense, this was an appropriate place for me to put this, as I am addressing her specific post as well as others who might share her narrow views.

    In addition, <3

    ReplyDelete